Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Perspective - Chapter 38 Teaser

“You both are very young. Is there a reason why you are choosing now to get married?”

Of course we could not share the real reason, which involved Bella’s obsession with getting older. Instead, I told him the same thing I’d told Charlie when we’d announced our impending marriage. “We are both going away to Dartmouth this fall, and we would like to do that the right way.”

I was hoping that would be the end of it, but by his thoughts I could tell he was not going to let it go so easily. “So there is nothing other than college that is causing you to marry now rather than in a few years?”

Bella moaned, which caused both of us to switch our attention to her. I, of course, knew the cause of her reaction. It was one I’d felt every time I’d hear the thoughts or whispers around us whenever we were seen out in Forks together. Only years of masking my thoughts and emotions kept me from outwardly expressing my frustration again and again. My love didn’t have all those years of experience in hiding behind a mask, and right at this moment her frustration showed plain on her face.

“I’m sorry if this makes you uncomfortable, Bella,” Reverend Webber said, and I could tell he was sincere. “but I do have to ask.”

She let out a heavy sigh. “No. I’m not pregnant.”

No comments:

Post a Comment