Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What I'm Reading - Week's 4 & 5

Sorry about not getting a post up last week. We took a trip to see my in-laws for the 4th of July, and it took over everything. Over the last two weeks though, I have done some reading.

Die Tonight, Live Forever

http://www.twilighted.net/viewstory.php?sid=8513

This story would never have crossed by radar had it not been for The Word Lottery. The author, sben3208, is also a reviewer and we were paired up to read each others stories. Die Tonight, Live Forever is a very dark story rated NC-17, and deals with some hard themes such as cutting and multiple personality disorder.

When I started this story I wasn't quite sure how I felt about it, but after one chapter I found I wanted to read the second. Her characters are definitely OOC in this one, but without that it would not be the same story. It is a WIP, and there are currently 17 chapters posted on Twilighted.net. If you like darker stories, then I suggest you give this one a chance.

I give this story four and a half out of five stars.

Fog Over Dartmouth

http://www.twilighted.net/viewstory.php?sid=10545

This is a post-Breaking Dawn story. Three years have passed and now the Cullens have decided to leave Forks. Edward and Bella enroll at Dartmouth. It is written by Milk40, and is rated PG-13.

I like cannon stories. SM left so much unexplored in her books that, when done well, a missing moment story or one exploring possible futures can be a very enjoyable read. This one just didn't fit into that category for me.

The interaction of Bella and Edward in this story is pretty good and for the most part in character. What I found driving me nuts, however, and what made me stop reading before I'd reached all the chapters that the author posted, was the flow of the story. I would be reading along and then all of a sudden there was...well for lack of a better word, jump. Not a total 180 or anything, more of a slight shift like a connecting sentence or two was missing.

When I stopped reading we were just starting to meet an original character. I do think this story has potential, however I found that it was too frustrating to hold my long term interest.

I give this story two and a half stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment